This article Applies FROM:
CVI Fusion 6.17
Infinity Client 6.17
Infinity Module --
Core Services --
CVI Net Web --
The following guide is designed to give instructions on how connect and configure a Desoutter Positioning arm so that is it managed by Infinity Client.
1.1- Hardware Requirements
In order to communicate between an Infinity Client and a Desoutter positioning arm it is necessary to have the following pieces of hardware :
|Desoutter Part Number
|Infinity Station 17" IOT
|615 932 7420
|615 813 2650
Note: It is also possible to use a PPC Infinity 17" Client (615 932 7320) instead if additional materials have been installed. To find out more please see Enabling Positioning in Windows 7 Infinity Client
1.2- Enabling Positioning in Windows 7 Infinity Client
INFINITY Panel PC’s produced using a Windows Embedded 7 Operating System are not compatible with Desoutter Positioning Arm Assets by default due to a lack of pre-installed drivers in the system image.
These devices can have the drivers required installed manually in order to allow positioning to function.
You can determine the operating system of an Infinity Client device by checking the Desoutter Part Number as seen below.
|Desoutter Part Number
|615 932 7420
|615 932 7320
If this is not possible to check the Desoutter Part Number of a device then it is also possible to check visually by inspecting the installed operating system. To do so, follow the below instructions:
- On the INFINITY Panel PC, close the INFINITY application so that the Windows Desktop is visible.
- Using the Windows key on an attached keyboard or using the touchscreen display; access the start menu at the bottom of the screen. Based on the appearance of the operating system, you can determine which operating system you’re INFINITY Panel PC is using.
Drivers for Desoutter Positioning Arm Assets are pre-installed. You do not need to install any additional materials.
Drivers for Desoutter Positioning Arm Assets are not pre-installed. You need to install any additional materials.
1.3- Installing Additional Materials
- Download additional materials
To get a download link for the additional materials, contact support
- Double-click the Windows Update - windows6.1-kb4012215-x86.msu
- Install the positioning kit driver - vci-4_0_482_0.exe - by double-clicking it and running through the wizard like below:
Click the image to go through the steps needed to install the driver.
2- Fusion Configuration
2.1- Asset Configuration
There are two methods for defining the properties required for a positioning arm.
2.1.1- Positioning Mode
‘Positioning mode’ can be set up in the asset configuration inside of the positioning arm properties. It has two modes:
- Standard : Tightening positions are fixed coordinates that are the same every cycle. This mode is used when the tightenings executed are always in the same positions. Here is an example of the permitted position of the part to tighten:
- Relative X/Y: Tightening positions required to be completed in the process never change physically but the position of physical product is not be fixed. The 1st tightening is always the same and it’s position is used to determine the position offset for all other remaining tightenings. This positioning mode is only useable with X & Y axis, no rotation is allowed on Z-axis. Here is an example of the permitted position of the part to tighten:
- Relative X&Y+ Z Rotaion :The 1st tightening is not controlled, and its position is used to determine the position offset for all other remaining tightening actions.Controlling the positioning of the second tightening involves using the theoretical distance between positions 1 and 2. It becomes essential to establish the angular offset to accurately calculate all subsequent positions. Here is an example of the permitted position of the part to tighten:
2.2- Linking an Positioning arm to an Infinity station and Action Tool step
3- Infinity Client Configuration
3.1- Teaching Infinity Client Tightening Positions
Once a configuration with a positioning arm has been deployed to an Infinity station then the button ‘Position Teaching’ becomes available in the Infinity Client system options. It is necessary to teach the Infinity Client the expected positions of all tightenings within the configuration where a positioning arm has been defined in order to ensure that the connected tool is enabled and disabled accordingly.
To teach Infinity Client the expected tightening positions within the configuration, follow the instructions below:
3.2- Using Positioning in an Infinity Process
When an Action Tool step becomes active within the Infinity process which has been configured to use positioning; the tool in use will not be enabled until it is in the correct position for the current tightening.
An action tool step using positioning looks the same as an action tool step without positioning with the exception of one added icon. There are six states to the icons seen here:
4- Feature Management
The Infinity Base feature is always required for the Infinity Client application to run. All other listed features must be additionally activated in order to use the functionality described in this article:
*Tooling will also be required in order to make use of your positioning asset. See our asset list here for a full list of compatible tools and required features to activate.